Are you a certified EAL instructor? Do you want to increase your understanding of EAL Literacy? If yes, then Teaching EAL Literacy Learners (TELLS) is for you!
This 10-week facilitated online instructor development course will provide you with the theoretical and practical knowledge needed to work in the field of EAL Literacy. The course covers the following content:
- What is EAL Literacy?
- Strategies and Approaches for Teaching EAL Literacy
- Lesson Planning and Development
- Language Skills Development
- Learning Strategies
- CLB Literacy Levels
- Numeracy and Other Essential Skills
Course Prerequisite: Must be a certified EAL instructor. Cost: $475
Priority given to those currently teaching EAL Literacy.
For more information and to apply, please contact Arleigh Hood at firstname.lastname@example.org
February 2016: Online
Immigrant Services Association of Nova Scotia (ISANS) is pleased to announce that we are going to re-offer the very well-received on-line training course for EAL Literacy instructors!
In response to the large number of refugees who have been arriving with limited or no formal education in their first language, this course will assist qualified instructors with the growing numbers of EAL Literacy clients in our region.
Teaching EAL Literacy Learners (TELLS) is a facilitated ten-week on-line course that involves readings, videos, discussions, quizzes and assignments. It has been designed to offer theoretical and practical support to qualified EAL instructors who are currently working with EAL Literacy learners. The time commitment is 8-10 hours/week. Participants work through each week’s material independently, but connect through discussions, shared resources and material. The course is facilitated by a qualified and experienced EAL Literacy instructor who guides the participants through the process and offers support and feedback.
The next course starts in February, 2017. If you know of anyone who might benefit from this course, feel free to share this information.
P.S. Here’s what some of our most recent participants said about the course:
- Extremely valuable!
- The time commitment required was good for doing the course while working in a full-time position. Some of the assignments actually saved prep time for my regular classes, as they could be implemented in my regular classes with a little modification.
- The quizzes helped me retain the information I had just read.
- The assignments put into practice the materials covered in each unit.
- I felt each unit built on the previous one.
- The final assignment combined all of the strategies, approaches/methodologies.
- The samples of work throughout were very valuable, especially those from the learners’ themselves.
- The facilitator’s comments were very, very helpful.
- This was an amazing course! I learned so much!